1. The alphabet comes from the two letters from the Greek alphabet- alpha and beta.
2. English is probably the most widely spoken language in the world with many people learning it as a second language.
3. 80% of the information in computers is in English.
4. The word "checkmate" (czyli osoba z któą gra się w szachy) comes from a Arabic phase, "Shah mat" which means "the king is helpless".
5. There are more English words begining with the letter "S" that any other letter in the alphabet.
6. The English dictionary grows by about 4,000 words every year!
7. To explode originally meant "to jeer a preformer off the stage"